Round Britain 2012 Intro

ON 5th MAY I WILL BEGIN SAILING AROUND BRITAIN CLOCKWISE FROM PWLLHELI, RETURNING IN SEPTEMBER.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL JOIN ME ALONG THE WAY AND WILL ADD THEIR EXPERIENCES TO THIS BLOG.

Monday 28 May 2012

Week 4 - Monday - Islay

It was good to get away from Crinan yesterday. It was as great place but we spent 4 days in the canal and it was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic.

We had 3 hours of wind then motored for the rest of the day in very hot, still conditions.

We had a quick look at Craighouse on Jura but did not fancy staying there so carried on to Islay. It was an 11 hour day but worth the trip

We are now moored up in Port Ellen, on a small island that has 7 Distilleries.

There is a festival week and we have been looking at the list of events. As Mark and I are such keen dancers (!) then we are going to try the whisky tasting Celidh this evening.

I started counting my bites this morning but gave up after 20! I have one below the hair line - that is a first for me! Griff ( who is coming next week) is getting worried about the midges and is currently purchasing a full chemical warfare suit and industrial strength chemicals!

We learnt the locals secret for dealing with the midges; they all use an Avon cream called: Skin So Soft. It is not a midge spray but for done reason the little beasties are repelled by it. Not sure how Avon would feel about this but I will test it out.

Not sure about today's plan yet.

1 comment:

  1. I spent last night sourcing various sprays, creams and mossy netting on that World Wide Web thingy....I also think time for the self titled Captain Rusty to add to his Sea Dog reputation and invest in a pipe. Think Pipe smoke may drive those little "b......ds" away.........

    ReplyDelete